Permits & Inspections
Contractors are required to be registered (PDF) with the City of Columbus. There is no fee associated with the registration. A Certificate of Liability Insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 is required listing the City as an additional insured.
Building permits are required within the corporate limits of the City and within two miles thereof for the following:
- All new construction, including additions, enclosing porches, and garages
- Repairs when structural members are involved, or which enlarge or change location of openings
- Interior remodeling when alterations require removal of walls or wall coverings, or adding new rooms such as basement finishing
- Decks, Fences, or Swimming Pool
- Patio covers and carports
- Residential accessory building over 120 square feet
- Moving or demolition of structures
- Small Lots, unless over an acre
In order to receive a permit you must first submit a Building Permit Application (PDF), fill out the Small Lot NOI (PDF), and be present to sign the application. For additional information on Building Permit Fees and City Code requirements please feel free to contact the Community Development Department.
Contact the Nebraska Electrical Division for electrical permits and inspections.
Occupy the Right-of-Way
Plumbing permits are required when any plumbing installation is necessary. Permits are also required with any plumbing projects that are within corporate limits of the City and within two miles thereof.
In order to receive a permit you must first submit a Plumbing Permit Application (PDF). For additional information on Plumbing Permit Fees and City Code requirements for licenses and exams please feel free to contact the Community Development Department.
In order to receive a permit you must first submit an Underground Sprinklers Permit Application (PDF) and be present to sign the application.
Before any work is concealed you must set up an inspection and receive approval from the City for the following:
- Footings – when formed and ready to pour
- Foundations – before pouring and when water proofing is complete and ready for backfilling
- Under the Floor Rough-In
- Framing – when all framing, wiring, plumbing, and venting is done and walls are ready for covering
- Final – project is completed and ready for occupancy
- Plumbing – open rough-in and final; same for gas
To schedule an inspection or if you have any questions call the Community Development Department.
24-HOUR ADVANCE NOTICE IS REQUIRED FOR ALL INSPECTIONS