The Columbus City Council will meet at 7 tonight to discuss a number of topics, including creating and establishing a new Downtown Business Improvement District, the design and construction of a potential splash pad at Centennial Park and more.
The City Council has a packed agenda. Among the items scheduled are:
- Quote from Kidwell in the amount of $10,509.00 for additional phones for community building.
- Quote from USA Bluebook in the amount of $13,110.62 for replacement UV spectrophotometer for Public Works department.
- Quote from M&M Trailer Sales in the amount of $15,375.00 for trailer for Public Works Department.
- Northeast Nebraska Area Agency on Aging 2024 Detailed Plan of Operation and Budget and application for funding for Columbus Senior Center.
- Resolution No. R23-27 approving request of Antique Tractor and Gas Engines Show to camp overnight in Pawnee Park, Friday and Saturday, June 9 and 10, 2023. (Board of Parks Commissioners recommends approval.)
- Resolution No. R23-28 authorizing payment of various improvement projects.
During the public hearing portion of the meeting, the Council will consider:
- Application of Shady Lake Development LLC for final plat and development agreement of Merlin's Addition (southeast corner of Highway 81 and 63 Avenue). (Planning Commission recommends approval.)
- Whether Merlin's Addition should be included within corporate city limits (Planning Commission recommends approval).
- Application of Mary Peterson for final plat and development agreement of Peterson Addition (25 Street east of E 14 Avenue)
- To create and establish a new Downtown Business Improvement District and to appoint a Business Improvement Board consisting of property owners, residents, business operators and users of space within the business area to be improved.
- Resolution No. R23-31 creating a Downtown Business Improvement District.
When hearing resolutions, the City Council will consider:
- Resolution No. R23-32 amending Title VI (Non-Discrimination plan 2022) section of the policies and procedures for Columbus Area Transit.
- Resolution No. R23-33 approving grant agreement with NeighborWorks Northeast Nebraska in an amount not to exceed $390,000 for low to moderate housing in Quail Meadows Subdivision using economic development funds as recommended by the Citizens Advisory Review Committee.
- Resolution No. R23-34 authorizing application and administration of Fiscal Year 2023 RBDG (Rural Business Development Grant)
- Resolution No. R23-35 approving agency agreement with Nebraska Department of Transportation, Aeronautics Division, for Grant No. 3-31-0019-017-0223 to obtain federal assistance for construction of an 8-place T-hangar.
- Resolution No. R23-36 approving agreement with Sand Creek Construction Company in the amount of $45,000 for design phase services for Gerrard Park Tennis and Pickleball Courts using the city design-build policy.
- Resolution No. R23-37 approving agreement with The Schemmer Associates, Inc. in the amount of $345,560.33 for construction engineering and inspection services of betterment work for 23 Street Reconstruction project.
- Resolution No. R23-38 selection the design-build delivery system for Centennial Park Splash Pad and designating City Engineer Rick Bogus to serve as performance criteria developer.
The meeting, which was moved to tonight in light of Monday’s Presidents’ Day holiday, will take place in the Columbus City Council Chambers, 1369 25th Ave. in the downtown district. It is open to the public.
(ABOUT THE PHOTO: The Columbus City Council during discussion at the Feb. 6th meeting in the Chambers.)