You can still go out to the ballgames at Bradshaw Park while road construction is underway along 48th Avenue to improve travel.
The project, a complete reconstruction of 48th Avenue from south of 23rd Street down to the entrance of Bradshaw Park, began in March 2023. It’s a complete reconstruction of the roadway, transforming it from asphalt to a more urban area with a concrete street, with curb and gutters, as well as a storm sewer and new lights. It came out of necessity as the road was heavily used, according to City Engineer Rick Bogus.
“The road was failing,” Bogus recalled. “Our Street Department was spending a lot of time out there fixing potholes and other issues.”
The City of Columbus also heard concerns from residents about the road, so officials worked to find a solution.
“The City understood this road was important to not just the people who live there, but for the whole community who uses Bradshaw Park. It’s also a collector road,” Bogus said, noting the road is well-traveled by the public (even those who don't live in that part of town) to reach a variety of locations.
Street Improvement District #189 was created by the Columbus City Council in Fall 2022 and the bid was awarded in January 2023. The project cost estimate is $2,650,000, with the City is using Federal Funds Purchase Program funding to pay 80% ($2,120,000) of the project cost. The remaining 20% is assessed to property owners, which is $530,000.
Each weekday since the project began when weather has permitted, workers have been on-site to help move the project along. Officials estimate everything to be completed by the end of August.
Despite the construction taking place, people still can enter and exit Bradshaw Park and the surrounding neighborhoods. A temporary access road has been created slightly west of 48th Avenue that can be accessed from the north or south of the park. That road is made of recycled asphalt millings so it can be driven on even when it rains. There are orange barrels that direct drivers through the winding road. Coming in from the south end of the park requires less time on the temporary access road. It’s also important to note people can gain access to the temporary road from 19th Street coming off of Howard Boulevard.
“All ways you could get there before construction, you can get there during construction,” Bogus said. “That was very important to us.”
Although the construction causes some temporary inconvenience, Bogus stressed the road will be vastly improved when it’s completed. In addition to the new concrete road and lights installed by Loup Power District, a trail will be added along the west side to add to the community’s growing trail system throughout town. He reiterated this project will make Columbus better for decades to come.
“We know a lot of people utilize Bradshaw Park, particularly for baseball and softball during the spring and summer,” Bogus said. “We know that street is important to the community and used a lot, so this will make for a better experience when it’s all done.”
(ABOUT THE PHOTO: View of Bradshaw Park looking north, toward 23rd Street.)
(TOP PHOTO: A view of 48th Avenue looking south, toward Bradshaw Park. The temporary access road can be seen on the left.)