The Union Pacific’s Historic Big Boy No. 4014 Steam Engine will be stopping in Columbus on Friday, July 12, 2019, from approximately 10:30 am to 11:30 am.
In anticipation of the arrival, the 26th Avenue and 25th Avenue railroad crossings will be closed that day from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm.
When steam locomotives come through the community, it is especially important to remember and emphasize safety. For everyone's safety:
- Remember – trains can't stop quickly to avoid people or vehicles on the tracks.
- A train's speed and its distance from you can be deceiving.
- The average train overhangs the track by at least three feet - it is imperative that pedestrians stand back at least 25 feet or more from the tracks to avoid debris and steam, or being hit by the train itself.
- Railroad tracks, trestles, yards, and right of way are private property. Please do not trespass.
- Never assume tracks are abandoned or inactive – always expect a train and always assume tracks are active.
Motorists should expect delays due to the large crowd expected.